View Single Post
# 1 27-09-2004 , 03:34 PM
The Maya Mountain

New prize policy!

Hey, guys,

A very valid concern was brought to our attention. As the prizes have been now, the Grand Prize is only awarded to the Normal category.

The thinking was to give those in the Newbie category something to strive for. However, to award EDUCATIONAL material to people who, for the most part, have a pretty good understanding of the program already seemed to defeat the learning purpose these challenges are meant for.

Therefore, we're suggesting this solution:

TWO Grand Prizes, one for each category!

Before I get into what these GPs are going to be, I want to reiterate that Grand Prizes will still only be awarded if enough people contribute final entries. If only 1 or 2 people are entering the challenge, it doesn't breed a good environment for competition and instead of the grand prize, regular prizes (points) will be awarded as usual. The only real change is now a minimum number of entries will be enforced for both grand prizes.

SO, that said, here's how the prizes will break down:

Normal Grand Prize:

A book (any art subject book, whether educational or reference or whatever) and a choice of a tshirt or mug.

Newbie Grand Prize:

1 SM DVD of their choice and 14 points

Hopefully, these arrangements will allow the winners to appreciate their prizes more! Let me know what you think.

Also, do current competitors in the Aug/Sept challenge want this prize situation to occur for them when this challenge ends at the end of the week? Let me know here! If not, this will take affect in the next challenge.

EDIT:

What has happend in the past has been a seperate winner for the Grand Prize. For example, a Grand Prize winner is chosen, and then the next runner-up is given the Normal prize followed by the Newbie prize. With the addition of 2 grand prizes, instead of having 3 or 4 winners, there will only be the 2. If the Grand Prize is awarded, there will not be a 2nd place Normal or Newbie winner.

So, for example, let's say there is a Normal Grand Prize, but not enough for the Newbie Grand Prize. The awarding will go as:

Normal Winner - name - Grand Prize!
Newbie Winner - name

In the above example, the Normal winner recieved the Normal Grand Prize while the Newbie winner recieves points.

Any further questions, feel free to ask.

-Mike
The Maya Toolbelt