View Single Post
# 5 03-03-2003 , 01:44 PM

Originally posted by pitbull
no...its the otherway around mate ;-) what i want is to be able to work with the poly proxy without the the subd surface showing all its edges...it just obscures the view of the poly proxy object ;-)

This is exactly why I do most of my work in pure polygons.

A quote from my site (The Female Head Project - In Brief ):

I decided to go for the polygon/subd approach. I did 99.9% of the modeling in pure polygons. Every once in a while I converted the model in to SubD just to see how I was doing. After that I converted it back to polys (level 0 vertices) and continued modeling. The only thing I did after the very final SubD conversion was adding few partial creases here and there. You might ask why didn't I just use the polygon mode of the SubD model? Well, there are several reasons:

- I don't like it user added image I find the subd polymode somewhat tangled. In shaded mode you can't always see all the vertices. X-ray mode helps a bit but then you can't see the shape of the model so easily. The wireframe mode is just pure mess user added image

- The UV tools for polygon models are much more sophisticated thus making the texturing a lot easier. When you convert the final poly object to a SubD, the UVs gets transferred as well anyway.

- Performance with polygons is a lot better than with SubDs.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!