View Single Post
# 4 05-12-2009 , 10:16 PM
However, if you insist on going the nurbs route here is what I did...

1. Use two of the images from the website at DAZ to create the CV curves.

2. loft 3 nurbs surfaces

3. use boolean difference to cut up the pieces. Delete all history and reverse surface directions where needed.

4. add a 1/4" round fillet where the surfaces meet

I can attach the maya .ma file but it will be in maya 2010 format. .obj will not work for nurbs.

Maya nurbs modeling is not for the faint of heart. They are very finicky. I spent a good deal of time trying to get the surface fillets and had to rebuild the curves several time before maya relented and allowed them to work (lol). No matter how hard I tried I could not get the boolean operation to produce surfaces with the correct surface direction. After rebuilding the surface directions in U and V a zillion times in every combination I could think of I just gave up and deleted history and reversed the resulting surfaces to get what I wanted. Finally if you use Maya nurbs be aware that you will have to spend time analyzing the tessellation of every single surface to ensure you do not get holes or seams.

In short nurbs have pretty much been relegated to creating basic forms that can be converted to polygons and sculpted.

This is sad because I started as a nurbs modeler and for hard surface stuff nurbs give far better control and much higher precision. ALL the high end CAD surfacing apps (like studio tools) are completely nurbs based.

Here are some images to kinda show the steps. The last one is a contour plot showing the 5 surfaces (top, side, bottom, and two fillets). I did not model the straps because I did not have the surface geometry from the DAZ tutorial and they are trivial to model any ways.

user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

*updates:

- added image - used lattice deformer to narrow the heel.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 06-12-2009 at 01:43 AM.