View Single Post
# 5 20-10-2002 , 08:00 PM
SM Alumni
Quick lighting setup, 3 spotlights.

Overhead, slightly yellow in color with quadratic falloff, set it to 2 for the value, shadows on, penumbra angle about 35 or so, HIGH INTENSITY, that quadratic falloff requires high values, don't be surprised at values in the tens of thousands depending on light placement.

Next, front light (ambient and brightening light user added image). Very light blue for a nice day effect, falloff to 1.5-2 but no quadratic, leave that alone. Shadows on, penumbra angle anywhere from 20-35, intensity just enough to light the object, anywhere from .15 to .75 depending on light placement.

Finally some back lighting. Place a spotlight facing towards the front lighting. Same idea as the front light only try a more yellow color and a higher intensity.

This is rough, it all has to do with where you place the lights as to what values to use, but this is a fairly basic recipe to get you started user added image The only difference with a night scene is I use blue greys for the front and back lights and still a touch of yellow for the overhead. Hope this gets you experimenting user added image

Darkon

Red bellows of flame have blackened my stones
Convulsing my frame and cracking my bones
Hell's dragons of steel who roar in their chains
Crawl into my caves to suck out my veins.....

-The Mountain P.F.M.