View Single Post
# 20 17-12-2009 , 08:14 PM
Oh btw, that sequence of rebuilding curves first with curvature and then with uniform distribution is critical to working with nurbs and curves in maya.

Way back in maya 3 when I started nurbs modeling was the hotness and I spent a lot of time learning to model using curves and nurbs surfaces.

If there was a single word that was the key to the entire universe of using curves and surfaces in Maya it would be "REBUILD", with uniform distribution and 0 to number of spans for uniform curve and surface parameterization.

This one thing "I believe" is the reason so many people get frustrated with nurbs modeling in maya. Having the cv's normalized parametrically (a fancy way of say being numbered in equal integer intervals, i.e. 0,1,2,3...) is critical, essential, imperative, ..., when doing anything with nurbs and curves in maya.

Having non-uniform parameterization will crash fillets, joins, trims, you name it! Before you do any nurbs operation or when in doubt rebuild! AFTER you complete joins rebuild. Follow these two rules and you will have a lot less headaches with curves and surfaces in maya.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675