Thread: need info...
View Single Post
# 2 10-09-2003 , 03:07 PM
uh yeah the info i was asking on the thread name...
well, due to the finantial aids, subventions and the new regulation for registering new enterprises, and other stuff... im starting to consider making business plan for making a small videogame studio... from the finantial point of view this is a good moment for making a (really small) startup (even if the internet bubble exploded) (making some combos I could manage to have 50000€ on capital with just 5000€ + a good business plan=>viavility study approved... without finding any previous investor... (and whats coolest is that on step 3 you recover the 5000€user added image con is that there are no second chances... you have to have a good product at frist try...user added image), yes i know 50000€ is peanuts when tryng to do something like a games studio, specially if woure going to embark on a long development cycle product... but it could be enough for the product i have in minduser added image... (plus once the thing starts moving i could find investors)

The main problems i dont have clear enough to complete a bussiness plan for it are:

1 Distributors: how they work, is there one of them that would consider unasked product displays? or they usually only want to consider stuff they encommended to a determinated company?, if option1: what stage of finalization the product has to be in to be considerable for them investing on it?. Also they usually like to pay on a percent of sellings or buy all the rights along with the product?, marketing campaings is usally financied/acomplished by them? (if that point is no i can forget going any further...) or does the own studio has to make its own campaign? )

2 Engine/direct X, is there a comunity like simplymaya for the DirectX SDK?, so i can take a look of the problems (+times, prices etc) of developing a (very unambitious) engine (anyways im going to see if i can speack to some people from the informatics faculty, and see what they learn on videogame programming optative class user added image) (maybe ill refresh my c++ programing and take it this yearuser added image, the business admin optative classes are a bit ludicrous, essentially you need 25 extra credits,and you can either pick some speciallizations or choose almost every assignature from almost any other career to fill em, like "videogame programing" as well as "quantum phisics" or something equally arcane if you choose to... )

3 Freelancer art, if i manage to make things clear on my minfd about points 1 and 2 i willl try to have the least staff perrsonel as possible and outsource grat parts of art or hire freelancers... what is reasonable to ask?(this more or less i knowuser added image) and what is reasonable to offer for it? (this im more clueless on, specially if i were to talk some artists outside spain). Also what is the best way to organice feelancing? (how do the companys do it?)

I have some very rough ideas formed on those points, but any links or direct responses or any info whatsoever related to them will be very appreciated. (even if i conclude its undoable it never hurts to know, plus im sure theres lots of ppl on this site that will be interested too user added image so if you can speak of it and are free to do so, please...)

(business plan is the frist step to business viability studys, then... just do it)

Last edited by dragonfx; 10-09-2003 at 04:37 PM.