View Single Post
# 1 30-11-2012 , 08:39 PM
Subscriber

Glow Intensity of one texture affects other textures' glow intensities??

Can someone please help me understand what the heck is going on here? I'm using Glow Intensity on several textures in my scene. It seems that the glowIntensity value of one object's texture, and/or the object's size, affects how the glow intensity of other objects (with different textures) render. To demonstrate, I made a simple test scene to reproduce the behavior:

Here is the barebones scene with no special effects:
user added image

Here, I increase the glow intensity of the green cube to 0.2. Looks fine.
user added image

Then, I increase the glow intensity of the yellow bar to 0.2 as well. So far so good...
user added image

Here's where it gets hairy. If I increase the intensity of one of them to 0.4, the other object's intensity appears to increase as well! Even though I didn't change the other object's value, and Maya (2011) says that it's still at 0.2!
user added image

And that's not the only way to affect other objects' apparant intensities. Below is a comparison of both objects at 0.2 again, and then all I did was scale the cube down to 0.1. Look what that did to the intensity of the yellow bar:
user added image

user added image

Why is it behaving this way and how do I make it stop? It seems like maya is 'compensating' the glow intensities of objects so they don't seem washed out when other objects get too bright(?). Whatever it is, it's totally wrecking my plans.

Any insight is very much appreciated!
Thanks!
d