View Single Post
# 4 21-03-2004 , 05:51 AM
update: 03/21/04

Sorry for the long delay between posts. I am being very methodical and trying to work out a method that I can use repeatedly to build good head models.

The eyes did not match very well in the front and side references. The eyes in the front view are significantly smaller and higher up then the eyes from the side view. I am going for a somewhat cartoony look, so I modeled the eyes oversized leaning more towards the eyes as drawn in the sideview rather then the smaller front view eyes.

I am helping my brother on a video project and working some other chores which is cutting into my modeling time.

But I wanted to post a status image of where I am in the modeling process.

The focus of the model up to here is:

- general head shape
- lips -> (4 patches across the top, 2 patches at the corner and only 2 patches needed for the bottom! and all are 4 patches deep.) I am quite pleased with the lip shape. The book suggests only 3 patches across the top of the lip but I found this gave me problems with not enough geometry for the cheek bone and eye areas so I added an additional patch.
- eyelids patches -> (8 patches across the top and 8 patches across the bottom and 3 patches deep (16x3 periodic surface). Focused mainly on the eyelid / eyeball interface and will work the brow area more after I have the nose modeled and see if it requires adjusting the eyelid patch.

Components:

- radial nurbs head (15 x 8)
- radial nurbs eyelids (16 x 3) (might be able to lower the 16 spans (8 top and 8 bottom) to something less).
- nurbs sphere eyeball

To do:

- model the nose (nurb patch)
- model the ear (nurbs patch)
- convert to polygon and combine all the nurbs components

I have been saving ALL the steps to create each piece and once I have the nose and ears completed I will post part 2 of the complete process on my web page.

Let me know what you think of the model so far.

PS - Keep in mind the eyelid area is a seperate nurbs patch and the crease around the edge will smooth out when I convert to polygons and combined with the other meshes. The brow needs further development and the model looks odd without a nose.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 21-03-2004 at 05:14 PM.