Thread: Smiler
View Single Post
# 46 06-09-2009 , 01:47 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by hammer.horror
I work for a company that do a lot of mainstream movies and commercials. You will never do something you have created, it will 99.99% copying something that has been designed by some other people.

I don't necessarily mean it has to be of your own design, but they need to know you can work off of original concepts, and add something that might need to be added.

While you maybe be working on pre-existing models (especially for the commercials). You still may have to create something that is unique. Even though it is not of you own design. It's all about being a well rounded artist. And sure, as a low ranking member of a studio, you may not be given too much choice on what to model, but as you move up there may be a better chance to expand, and maybe add personal touch to a project. When I wrote the post earlier, I had a different type of situation in mind, not a studio that does tid bits for movies, and some commercials, I was aiming more for studios working on games, and studios working on effects for movies. Places where truly unique designs come to life. Places where your imagination can strive.

Just because a lot of places don't let stray too far from the guidelines, doesn't mean you should limit yourself. Your portfolio should be an expression of yourself, and your art. I don't care what you do, or other people do.... what I and most other CG enthusiast do is art.... or at least that what we aim for.

I know a job is a job, and you must do what the client want, and I'm not arguing that point.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"