View Single Post
# 27 24-05-2005 , 08:44 PM
I enjoyed the movie quite a lot. I'm amazed at the amount of detail they put into the film. I sometimes wonder if someone else would have done a better job with Directing these newer films, but no use complaining about what can't be changed.

High points for me:

Palpatine, aka Darth Sidius, really came into character in this movie. I found it interesting the only person who truly listened, or even understood Anakin happened to be the one person who shouldn't have. Obi-wan and Yoda and Mace really screwed up the Jedi big time. It wasn't just Anakin's turning point that the Jedi were eliminated, it was eliminated as soon as the Jedi council started to hide the fact they couldn't use the force like they use to.

Anakin's turning to the dark-side was something that was brought up from the very first prequel. Yoda and Mace pretty much refused to train Anakin because of that. I feel that they knew how close/easy it would be for him to turn to the dark-side, and being the Palpatine made him, I think that Palpatine did too. So to me Anakin's turn to the dark-side was almost as easy a decision as him wanting to become a Jedi. Especially considering the only person who actually showed him any sort of respect and honored his abilities happened to know the dark-side too. This was proven by his ability to kill Count Dooku, of which Anakin was completely unattached.

Obi-wans Lizard thingy. Awesome design! Makes me want to make something similar. I loved the way they animated it.

Acting was cheesy, but consistently so. Acting has been cheesy in all of the Star Wars movies. And for those who said Star Wars isn't a comedy I'm not certain you remember some of C3PO and R2-D2's comedic performances in the past movies, but to me it seemed true to form.

My overall view of the movie is that it is a tragedy. Anakin could have been one of the most powerful Jedi, and probably would have been if it wasn't for the Jedi council, and Obi-Wan holding him back. Anakin seemed to want to do good, and would have done so I think. But Mace and Yoda really screwed that up.

Two things in this movie that really stood out to me. For one, you find out that Darth Vadar is a villain without any redeemable qualities in the scene when he kills the younglings. I've heard from over a dozen women who "hated" that scene because of it's shear vulgarity. I thought the scene was necessary because you NEVER see why Darth Vadar is so evil in Episodes 4-6. So basically he was this cool looking dude with awesome powers that was supposed to be bad. No way to truly connect to what made him bad. That scene alone shows you Darth Vadars vileness.

The second thing was the scene after Obi-Wan and Anakin fight. Obi-Wan knew he'd failed him. He knew he should have done more. He knew whose fault it was that this had happened, and he walked away. Yoda did the same thing, but it wasn't as apparent. When the emperor came to pick up Darth Vadar you can see that they have had a closer companionship than we have been shown. Darth Vadar was born and grown to become what the emperor wanted him to be.

As my mom said when my parents and I left the theater, "It all came together." I'd say I have to agree. Regardless of the cheesy dialogue, bad acting, bad directing, etc... I don't feel a need to stick on those minor things. The story kicked butt, and for that I'm thankful he ended the movies the way he did.

My Website