View Single Post
# 34 01-01-2010 , 03:21 PM
If you did not realize the 202-sided polygon was being sarcastic, well it was!

The point is Jay is trying to say ALL geometry has to have exactly 4-sides. If his pipeline and vfx director demands it, that's fine, but all art departments and vfx directors and some pretty big name 3d modelers to not concur.

Just google Rich Hurry, Jason Bickerstaff, Steven Stahlberg and you will see that you do not have to have ALL 4-sided geometry.

Here is a proof:
====
PROPOSITION:
Prove that ALL studios only hire modelers that make all quad model, ALL modelers that work for major studios make only ALL 4-sided models, and ALL VFX directors only allow ALL 4-sided models is FALSE.
=====================================
PROOF:
All anyone has to do to PROVE something is NOT true is give ONE counter example. I have given 3, just google those names I have mentioned above (rich hurry, jason bickerstaff, steven stallegnberg) they are all professionals, and you will find examples of work they have done for major studios, for major movies, for major productions that have geometry with n-gons and triangles and they have all reported to vfx/art directors. The bottle cap topology recently posted is another example of a topology with all three cases - It has quads, tris, and a large 32-sided n-gon. I would argue that coca-cola advertising is a studio, the person posting the topology is a professional, and he reports to a art director / vfx director. That meets all the requirements of my proof.

Q.E.D.
======================================

As I can show or point to references that show examples of n-gons of > 8-sides and triangles being modeled by professional modelers working at major studios that most certainly report to vfx/art directors then my proof is INDISPUTABLE.

Now all you and Jay have to do is show ME a proof that demonstrates ALL models created by ALL professional modelers working at ALL major studios and reporting to ALL VFX/art directors create only ALL 4-sided models.

Unless either of you can do that please stop posting in my thread as though you are all knowing authorities.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 01-01-2010 at 04:27 PM.