View Single Post
# 1 09-02-2003 , 01:15 PM
Subscriber

FinalGathering of the Grumman Duck

I have taken an ill these days and battle sore a throat and some light tiredness.

So I did a rendering with mental ray today (because I don't care doing much of anything):

This is of course not perfect, but I stumbled upon some issues.

1) I'm not sure how to give the scene an overall apt lighting.
2) Choise of shaders greatly affect the dirstribution of light it seems. I turned some chrome objects into lambert-white to tune the intensity down.
3) Although this pic is far from finished/optimal. I think I have come about a strategy in deciding how to mix min-/max-radius values with FG-rays. I guess it is first imporant to figure out an appropritate min-/max rad setting, and doing so with a LOW amount of FG rays. Finding a proper amount of FG rays, is the next concern, and I think that I don't rally need any high amount of FG rays for my scnene.

The scene was lit by a hdr image, in the incandescence value of a shader, and placed on a cylinder around the airplane.

FG rays = 1000
Min-/max Radius = 1 and 1 I think.
(It was supposed to be 1 and 10, but I typed them as 10 and 1, making mr set both to 1 and 1 automaticly.

Made in previewFinalGather quality mode in mentalray.
Sampling was "triangle" with filter width/height 2x2, and min-/max sampling of 1 and 2.

I'll do some investigating about a better/worse the min-/max rad setting.

But I just wanted to show you guys my cute little airplane.

EDIT:
Render time = 30+ minutes ( not too bad user added image )

Last edited by undseth; 10-02-2003 at 08:18 PM.