View Single Post
# 1 11-12-2011 , 08:18 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore

Show Reels - A Guideline

Just wanted to post up a little help thread with regards to showreels. There are a few members posting reels and they are in need of attention so here a few do's and don'ts.

1) Be clear about your skills -what you want to do or what you see yourself as, ie:animator, fx td, generalist and so on. Keep the reel to the point of what you are.

2) If you are a modeler like myself, 360 degree turntable models are essential. Usually with shaded wire frame models fading to AO renders.

3) Dont display models with bases. Its films or games you are after not games workshop or dungeons and dragons

4)Models with textures...as above but show the textures and UVs in a flattened state between each model shown

5) Playblasts of animated objects are allowed. I've seen this on many animator reels...but makes sure the res is high enough

6)Backgrounds....mmm always a tricky one. Alot of people render on a black backgrounds....looks cool but dont do it. Render on a 50% grey. It means the model is neither in progress or finished. Its only finished once its on the movie screen.

7) Reel Time....4mins or less....otherwise its gets boring

8) Show your latest and best work first

9) Music....if you want...it usually gets turned down or even off. Not everyone has the same taste in music so bear that in mind

10)Your details. Put them on the end of the front and the end of the reel. Email addresses and a phone number. And keep them up to date!! Also put contact details on the dvd face and on a cover if you have one. This will save any potential employers fumbling around to find the details. As they'll be in front of them.

Okay so thats the first wave of guidelines. I'll post as I think of more.

Start posting your reels in here for some crit.......