View Single Post
# 1 05-01-2004 , 07:24 PM

G5 vs. PC render speed

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but I was just wondering why on earth render speeds are so much worse on the Macs. This seems to be the case among all the leading 3D apps.

This link at HE3D has a couple of G5 tests, which are still 2-3 times slower than the best (and comparable) PC. Ouch!

https://www.highend3d.com/tests/maya/...ge=2&sortby=os

Is this a result of the processor? Poor programming? Lack of priority for smaller market?

The reason I ask is because I'm really struggling right now with which way to go with Maya. I'm a die-hard Mac fan, but sheesh, the numbers are just painful. Plus, no sign of Unlimited on the horizon makes it tough to drop a couple of grand on Complete just to run it (slower) in my preferred OS.

On the other hand, I'd have to drop some coin on a good PC, so either way I'm going to have to spend some money.

I've been running PLE and made a fairly complicated scene. By using Bounding Box previews and such, it's quite manageable in preview, but the render speeds are TERRIBLE. I know it's 3D and it's always going to take a while to render stuff, but passing up a machine that's 3X faster is going to be tough.

Convince to stick with Maya on the Mac!