View Single Post
# 15 15-03-2005 , 11:01 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Phopojijo
[…]For single frames... I don't know how to do it in MAYA offhand, but you could just create (nurbs) spheres and manually place them all around the can. Make them poke ~1/2 way inside the can, varying for added effect... group them all, then assign them a shader.

Which is *exactly* what I'm doing... ;-)

BUT... but, but, but... I have a lot of "buts" about this...
You can read two of them in my answer above (to "mhcannon").
I've got another "but", here:
"What if water drops must be placed on a *transparent bottle*?"
(My intention was to make a can AND a bottle of beer).
Pokin'em 1/2 way inside the bottle would make the remaining 1/2 surface visible *inside* the bottle.
So, the best thing to do is probably to manually cut the shape of each drop 1/2 way from the start. "But" then I'll have a kinda 'planar surface' that wouldn't fit perfectly with the can's surface.

Dunno... I feel a little lost.
I have a strange (unsupported-by-knowledge) feeling that a "displacement" would be the best solution, for a static image. Thou' I don't have the first idea how to build waterdrops' displacements...

I would recommend
https://www.highend3d.com/maya/shader...sort=file_name
About 5 entries down, Denfo_purewater. It also has the "raytracing' thing I was talking about... but you need to 1) Turn on raytracing in your render globals, and 2) Click "visible in refractions" on the coke can... not exactly sure where that is off hand... but someone else would.
It'll take more time to render, but it'll bend light like actual water.

Yep, tnx ;-)
I've already d/led "Denfo_purewater" (I think I've been on each and every site which had the word "water" in it ;-)...
I even know how to handle the "raytracing" and "visible in refraction" things (or at least, I know that I can find them, somehow).
Still I preferred to use a simple Blinn with transparency set to "0", probably to stay focused on the shapes, rather than adding more troubles in the rendering step (which is already a "pain in the ass").

cià
ale-Keepin' on investigating

p.s: Damn it... Kurt! U teached us how to build a Dragon! What if in the Dragon's land it would rain, one day? :p

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs,
it's just possible you haven't grasped the situation.