View Single Post
# 1 30-12-2006 , 06:03 PM

Blendshapes with In-Betweens ~ problem solved

Hey, looking for some help with maya and google isn't helping much so I was hoping someone here might know what I'm talking about.

I'm trying to make a character with eyes that can blink seperately. Each eye has it's own set of models that go from open and closed to complete a full blink . The problem is that I don't know how to use the "Add blendshape" option to let me add a blendshape using in-betweens. If I create a new blendshape for each eye (not sure the exact term) it puts each one in it's own 'group' rather than having both sliders in the same group. Because of this when I move one slider to have an eye open, the other eye closes. Basicaly I don't understand half the terms in the "add blendshape" option so I can't figure out how to do it right, and I'm having a hard time finding something that explains how to actualy use it.

If anyone could help I'd really appreciate it, and let me know if I need to clarify anything. Thanks

Edit: Yay I figured it out.

I didn't realize that the add blendshape option only lets you add one blend shape at a time. All I had to do was figure out what weight each shape needed to have by taking the total number of shapes (for me it was 8) and dividing 1 by that number (so I had a value of .125 for the first weight, .25 for the second etc). So I added all my other blendshapes PLUS the last shape in the series of my eye blinks (since the last shape would have a value of 1). Then I selected each head individualy, set it's weight, and put in the target index (for me it was 15 for the left eye and 16 for the right, since that's how far down the blend shape list each one was.

I hope this helps someone, but if it doesn't make sense just ask and I'll try to explain better.

Last edited by mooshakes; 31-12-2006 at 04:08 AM.