View Single Post
# 1 23-07-2017 , 08:28 PM

Precise Editing: Pivot Point

One thing I find frustrating about Maya is that doing anything in it using exact values always seems to be buried and convoluted. And in tutorials everyone seems to overtly ignore the idea entirely. Why is it that in all of the tutorials I've watched I've never seen anyone say, "This is how you move it exactly this many units" or "Here's how you rotate exactly this many degrees"???

What I need to do now is set the angle of a pivot point to exactly 45* relative.

I found this which says to use the pivots section in the attribute editor, so I tried it.
https://download.autodesk.com/global/...mber=d30e20082

But when I set the local rotation of the pivot point, weird things that don't make any sense happen, and none of them are: the pivot rotates the number of degrees I input.
First, whether I set Local Rotate Pivot or World Rotate Pivot the value appears in both tabs. Then, setting rotation on the pivot in either tab, does not. rotate. the pivot. What it does instead is it moves the pivot on the axis instead of rotating it around the axis.

Here's the original pivot.
user added image

And this is what happens when I set Local Pivot Rotate to 45
user added image

As you can see here the change is set in Local and World Space tabs of the attribute editor even though I only input it in Local Space tab. Also the pivot has offset some wacky direction instead of rotating in place the designated number of degrees.

Just. Why???

Can someone tell me what I need to do to JUST ROTATE. THE PIVOT. 45 DEGREES???

Why is that so hard? Why does this have to be so convoluted???

How is there not, just... a set of coordinate fields that I can edit at any time and will always apply the translation input to any object that is selected/being edited??? Including pivot points????

Why is everyone in the universe apparently perfectly content to just drag things around in the 3D view pane with no regard or desire for precision in anything they ever do whatsoever???