View Single Post
# 4 24-10-2005 , 06:26 PM
Subscriber
Hi, Jonathan here,

Let me introduce myself somewhat. I am an animator, and have been since 1989, (yes, traditional animation). So I am not really "technical". But I aspire to be. During my 6 years at a major visual effects studio working on feature films, I saw the work being done by my modeler friends, and perhaps that as skewed my idea of what modelers do. Extremely complex and challenging models painstakingly built, put in logical hierarchies, with parts named acording to convention so painters and TD's can work efficiently down the line. I aspire to do high quality work. I look to tutorials to teach me how to do the hard stuff. At the places I have worked, the med lab model would be low res, animatic quality, what we call "quick and dirty"

I realize there are many options for tutorials, and I chose not to recommend other places, but to give constructive criticism.

Perhaps SimplyMaya should position itself as a beginners site. There's nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't want to hinder their business. Otherwise, I suggest they raise the bar somewhat.