View Single Post
# 5 24-10-2005 , 07:53 PM
Hi

I can make a 50 part tut to show a fully decked out project with every little detail of the modeling and texturing. We have tried that but if the tuts are too big we hear that its too long and that all you see is me doing the same techniques over and over.

As I said earlier, its very hard for us tut makers to find the balance to make everyone happy in what we are trying to teach. Modeling and texturing are an art form and you can't just watch 1 tut and become great at it. It takes months and years. If the lab is not modeled / textured to your standards spend extra time making it to the level you are happy with it. Remember it is a tutorial not a finished project. There is not much more I can show about how to go about the process... its all just time and practise.

As far as the Med lab you can't have it both ways. You said in your first post you dont like seeing the same tools used over and over again but then you just replied about wanting to see complex modeling done painstakingly showing everything. I can't show the painstaking part without showing the same things over and over again. Would anyone sit through 12 parts seeing me build 50 little blocks or map each face when you already said it shouldn't have taken even seven parts?

The tutorial shows the skills and tools needed to get your set decked out but its up to the individual person to use those skills and tools to make the project live up to the level of high studio work. You can name every object in the hypergraph for TD's and painters. We just can't do huge tuts to get it to a finished level like that without people saying that it's too long and repetitive.

SimplyMaya does put out a lot of tuts that cater to beginners since its most often them that want tutorials to get them familiar with Maya and the modelling/animation process. However, the skills we teach are still the same for more advanced users...they just spend more time developing and honing those skills. Some will then go on to 3D school as well.

While this tut has been well received by most viewers, I'm sorry it didn't live up to what you were expecting. In the future I will try to include other tools/techniques that I don't use that much myself but may be of interest to others.

Kurt

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb