View Single Post
# 20 30-03-2010 , 04:14 AM

Thanks DaveRave!

Thanks DaveRave! Can't wait to see your head. How are your kids? :-)

I didn't model the head, Dave. I'm concentrating on photorealistic texturing at the moment (especially of human faces). I'm not good at modelling heads (many, many more hours to put in) and I've heard that even for experts, it takes a good 30 minutes (I saw a UTube which speeded it up to 8mins!). Would appreciate your guidance. I got the head from a free URL (Turbosquid, can't remember?). I have got Julian Mortimer's second head modelling tutorial (not the the baked texture one) but haven't gotten around to going through the tut...maybe, tonite.

P.S. >> I saw a cool UTube tut on Photoshop CS4's latest 3D tools and the author seemed to make it so easy to take a real life photo of a human face and distorted it somewhat (using the Liquify filter and Warp Lattice deformer) to fit Maya's UV of that person's human head mesh. He brought it back into Maya and it fitted nicely! But I really don't know about UV. You still can't avoid that stretching because its actually mapping a planar 2D photo (with x,y coords) to a roughly spherical 3D head mesh (with mapped u,v coords) and the sharpness and clarity of the photo is lost during the mapping process. I haven't seen any really photorealistic CG human head so far (despite Beowulf and Liam Kemp but Avatar 3D's is quite good). The skin doesn't really seem to have the texture and the eyes also are not that photorealistic.