View Single Post
# 20 04-10-2004 , 07:28 AM
Subscriber
Spent 5 hours on a front porch heh. I think I know now how to not make a porch.

The fence around the porch consists of 32 boards. Perfect task for some automated stuff or some intelligent duplicate with transform. I realized I could look into this, but chose not too. Maybe I was scared (+dumb), but I also wanted it to look more homebuilt. Automated tasks in all honour, but irregularity is important too. Especially in 3D I think where it often becomes too clean, too perfect. Now what a waste of time for so much detail on something that's barely visible in the scene. Well, I've got a front porch now hehe. Hopefully it's reuseable.

I discovered the wedge tool that made the foundation, of what will become a balcony, with a couple of mouse clicks. Will play around with Wedge lots more on this project as I think it might be nice for arching windows and little detail like that. I encourage you too look up Wedge Faces in the manual. What I found wasn't very clear, but soon enough fell into place, was that you need to mark the faces you want to wedge, and select by edge and mark the edge. Two selection methods, adding to the selection holding down shift.

Another constant time-eater is struggling with proportions, heights, widths, relations, distances. It's not an easy task, but I guess we all improve ourselves each passing day.

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with the result. It's got this cool Psycho-esque look and will make more sense when the balcony and half octagon behind it all is in place. Best of all I had tons of fun making it.

Detail:

Attached Images

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy