Thread: GLock 18
View Single Post
# 12 27-02-2009 , 09:51 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by iamcreasy
it's a 7.2 K model....i know Very high.

The mod is using a railgun which is abt 8.5k.If SOURCEcan handle THAT it can also handle this too.I know extra pressure.BUT CAN'T IT BE ACCEPTABLE.

for what it is it's WAY too big, esp since the player wont even look at the gun in detail (i assume its not something you have on display that the players have to look at to go somewhere)
even if the railgun model you talk about is 8.5k is it something that is going to be looked at close up?
is it going to be static enough that players will notice little details?
how big is the rail gun compared to this puny little glock?

if i use cleanup is distorts the original shape.Could u plz let me know how use it wisely.[/B]

never used it and don't know what the settings are for but i assume it works best when it can clearly tell where the quads should be. right now, if i try it edges get placed in funky places. its too ambiguous to clean up (at a guess)

Why i find dark shades on the gray surface in maya.(both in the viewport and in the render scence)
[/B]

this is usually because of one of two reasons...
the soft and hard edges don't play with each other very well
or you have way too many faces with more than four edges. I'm guessing its the latter

is there any specific procedure or rules(except low poly count) to follow.And if the are what are they?
[/B]

can't think of any... other than keep your faces four sided as much as you can... also have a good logical edge flow

How do i know a model is ready to go and it will not cause
any trouble in game engine or while texturing in other modeling softwares.

The file is attached.So, let me know where are the errors(except poly count) [/B]

its ready when you're happy with it. not sure about predicting if it will cause trouble or not... by trouble i assume you mean like slowing down the game or causing it to crash.
i dont think models will cause the game to crash but if there is a lot going on in the game the model could slow the game down if its textures or polys are too high

anyway, i was going to just try this out in Source, just export it to xsi and then as an SMD file and seeing if it would work.
but before i tried that i had a look at your model
i thought it was all just one model but you've got lots of little pieces together. Not sure how that's going to work when you export it to the game engine...
since you mentioned source i assume you're using that?
i find that you have a lot of faces that you don't need (there are faces that are occluded by other parts of the gun, you don't need them because they will never be seen)
you have a LOT of edges that are totally redundant, even for a high res model
and as mentioned before... you have a LOT of n-gon faces (faces with n edges, but in this context n > 4)

i will do a little bit of tidying up just to show you what i think you don't need and post lots of pictures...

also, that link to low res game model tutorial that brains linked you to, it's helpful, but i dont think it will help you much in this situation. I can't remember if Kurt talked about any tips for low res models

if you build a high res model you can make a low res model and use the ultimapper... i mean the transfer maps.... once you've laid out UVs and you'll get normal maps
https://www.simplymaya.com/movie_page...tml?tut_id=156
here's a free tutorial from mike explaining the transfer maps

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D