View Single Post
# 4 05-12-2010 , 05:41 PM
Administrator
I just wanted to say that I think that's some really good advice from Jay. I draw a lot and I find it so much more difficult to get a male characters to come out right, female characteristics have a tendency to sneak their way into the face especially. Also understanding anatomy is really important when you're trying to create movement in 2d or 3d, if you know which muscle groups contribute to a specific gesture it makes it much easier to recreate it and also if these muscles are defined on a character model it becomes much more realistic.

I look at a lot of galleries and I've noticed a tendency amongst modelers, who are mainly male, to get female characters that have strangely shaped breasts (find this weird as men tend to focus a lot on this area in the real worlduser added image) and a lot of masculinity in the areas of the chin, cheeks and eyebrows. So places to watch out for!

Looks like you're off to a good start on that model though. As Jay mentioned as well the more realistic and high poly you take a model the more you open yourself up to criticism and the more complicated it gets to keep the topology clean. If you haven't done a lot of character modeling it might be a good idea to start of with something that's not too involving like a stylized cartoon, and once you've nailed the topology move on to a more detailed and realistic model.
Nilla