View Single Post
# 1 12-11-2018 , 06:01 AM

skyscraper window reflection?

I have a lot of experience modeling in Maya but not so much on shading/rendering side. I am working on a series of images that will include contemporary high-rise buildings with highly reflective windows. I am particularly interested in how the reflections are distorted by each window. I have attached reference images that I will be working from which should give you a sense of what I am talking about. In my source images, you can see how each individual window warps the reflection in a unique way. I am wondering if anyone can point me to information for how to approach this? As far as I can figure, there are two basic ways to do this. 1) find a shader that will warp the reflection differently for each pane of glass on the buildings. 2) do a render pass just for the windows and composite in a sky image. For the first approach, this seems like it may be very processor intensive and put a lot of extra geometry (i.e. extra work) into the scene to create the reflected image. For the second option, I am not sure how I would get the comped reflection to warp differently for each individual windowpane. I am expecting to use Arnold for this but can go with something else if you it makes sense.
user added image
user added image