View Single Post
# 1 03-09-2005 , 03:26 PM
Subscriber

Nurbs attach/detach problem after trim...

Hi,
Hope I can explain this properly, here goes...
I made a simple model "soda" can from a revolved C.V. curve and then used "detach surfaces" to separate into 3 separate areas to make texturing simple. (Top of Can/Middle[label]/and base of can)
I then projected a curve on the top part and used Trim to make the drinking hole.
I added metal type shaders to top and bottom parts and a "label" to the centre portion of the model...
Now when i added the label, I noticed that it was sitting too low down on the model and needed raising up.
This is where i ran into trouble, because I decided to try to re-attach the 'detached' middle and top portions, and it seems no matter what or how i select (Trim edge/isoparm) or what operation I attempt (Attach surfaces or any other) I cannot get the top and centre of can back as one piece.
From what I can gather, this is because the lower part of the "Top" is not an Isoparm now, but a "trim edge" - I realize that I could re-model it in no time and do it properly (do the trim last or something) and as far as I can see it 'should' work...
The problem is, I just cannot believe that there isn't another way to join these parts in Maya, so basically have I got something wrong? or am I missing the point here?

I have included a picture to help show what i'm attempting and failing to do...
Please can anyone help me?

Scraggy

Attached Images

Last edited by Scraggy_dog; 03-09-2005 at 03:31 PM.