View Single Post
# 1 24-08-2006 , 09:12 PM

Using aim constraints for pistons?

Hihi. I've been fiddling around in Maya for just about a year now, and I've recently started a little project for myself; I'm working on a sort of four-legged, spider-like robot. Thus far, I've got the first back leg done. However, there's been a minor snag; A lot of the "muscle" for it was supposed to be pistons. Now, the leg will eventually be bent spider style, but to make the modelling process easier, I did it all on the Y axis, so I could rotate it later. I've got a bunch of pistons on it now, and I've got it so that everything except mounting it to the body is ready, for the most part. However, the other side needs a duplicate leg. Will I have to rebuild all the aim constraints, and if so, will this be a difficult process? I've gotten some flack from other modelers in my college, as they say aim constraint stuff should be held off until rigging, but my fear was that it would be very difficult and confusing to try to keep track of the pistons when they were in their final positions.