Thread: round corner
View Single Post
# 9 05-08-2003 , 11:13 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by dragonfx
wonder if noone has noticed the
Edit polys>bevel command...
it comes from factory since maya 4 and you can download it from alias for older versions... it rounds edges... cool...

microman did try to make it with bevel (even when i first thought he meant the nurbs bevel). but bevel has one big disadvantage, it does not do corners. in the attached picture you will see what i mean - left is the smothed cube, and right the beveled cube. the corner might look good, but have a look on the siluette - it is far form beeing a round corner. oh and of course the smothed cube has a higher mesh. but that does not matter if you want to have good looks, right?

and for microman, incase you wonder, here is what i did with the smooth cube:
  • i subdivided so i have 4x4 faces on each side of the cube
  • select the edge faces (simplest might be to select all, and deselct the middle in top front and side view)
  • polygon->smooth with subdivision 2, and keep border and keep selection
yes, it is not quads in the middle, but you can fix that if you duplicated the cube before smoothing, and delete in one the edges, and in the other the inner part. then smooth the "cube" that has the edges, subdivide the inner part so it has same detail - and then combine both parts and merge verts.

picture of the fast dice making thing - left smooth, right bevel:

Attached Thumbnails