View Single Post
# 7 07-12-2011 , 04:56 AM
Lone Wolf Productions

And have you tried QT?

Sorry, but I still don't see the point. You need to install a script to install a script. It seems redundant to me. Plus, in a studio environment this would be hard to work with; as you'd have to modify that script; publish it to everyone's machine; then run that script to install the new script.

But going back to storing everything as hex; it's too easy to dump something like this:
'6f732e73797374656d28276630726d617420633a202f79272 9'

Which (with the 0 removed) would format the user's C drive. Plus, this actually makes the code larger, as each character needs to be stored with 2. (2*2 bytes = 4 bytes; instead of 1*2 bytes = 2 bytes) user added image

I think this idea is interesting, but I'm not sure if you're taking the best path with it. Maybe I'm still not getting it.

ok lets see, i'll try to explain it better and use some examples to make it clear.

you say you need to install a script to install a ascript. no, you copy paste the code and that code will install "several" scripts that make work together for you.

example : maya can handle .mel files over 500 lines but recommends not doing it. i created an complex interface that alone is over 1500 lines. now imagine when i start adding actual coding to it. that script will explode to a size of starting to become a pain to edit. Like in other programming languages you start to divide the code over several modules. just look at the directory of the maya default scripts itself. i did a quick scan and its counting over 6800 scripts. every piece does something else but still they all can work together. like in antoher exampletake your opreating system. its not one file its thousends of files. (ok this example is going extreme but by know you should be getting the point i hope)

so you dont install my script shown above. you run it once and it will install the actual program (scripts), its its own directory inside the scripts folder, create a script path to it, install a shelf to call the individual scripts and so on...

so you dont need to modify my script in any way. as you are impleying. i have here on my side another script (lets call this the creator) i run it. specify the directory i want. it compiles the data and spits out the script you see above. in this example only some dummy scripts where used like, stander Maya examples found in the documantation. just for testing to see if the code would work on other machines.

now going back to the hex strings. Like i said in the OP the code is RAW and can/will be optimized. i choose hex string for the following reason.

lets say i have a line like this in my script file (just taking a random piece of code)

Code:
global proc interactiveUICreatorHelpUniqueName()
 {
	confirmDialog 
		-title "Help"
		-message ("Choosing an unique name is important to avoid conflicts.\n\nThe name must begin with a letter and is followed by letters,\ndigits, or underscores (no spaces allowed).\n\n Examples :\n\n\tGood\t\"abc\"\n\t\t\"abc123\"\n\n\tBad\t\"123\"\n\t\t\"123abc\"\n\t\t\"abc def\"\n\n\nNOTE : Upper and lower case allowed, the name is case sensitve,\n\"dog\" is not the same as \"Dog\" but both are allowed.")
		-icon "information"
		-button "Ok" 
		-defaultButton "Ok"
		-cancelButton "Ok" 
		-dismissString "Ok"
		-parent interactiveUICreatorWindow;
 }
Now i want to make this into a string. already you see that it has many special and reserved things inside it. and I noticed maya mel will flip out when doing that. thats why i chosen hex strings. then go from 0-9 and from a-f still representing the very same code. as i understand your concern that somebody with bad intentions could dump some bad things but if you go from that point of view you really shouldnt install anything because such code can be anywhere inside a program if a person really wanted to. but lets move on.

so i'm already working on a new routine stepping away from hex to my own format of compression. its just takes some time to convert it to MEL. this is just a testphase. in the end i will actually end up with much, much less code resulting in less data when the code gets optimized.

I hope i get this up and running asap as i dont mind critism it sounds like nobody wants to try it wich in return isnt helping me progress to the next stage of the project.

if this stays like this i will probebly only be able to produce things for my type of machine, the version of maya i'm using, etc etc...

So i hope i brought some more light to your confusion please dont hesitate to ask if you still dont get the point. do consider, the next point would be a youtube video so i can show/explain it that way user added image lol

Jouri.

EDIT : no i did not try QT yet. (somehow missed that by going over the hex. Big story short. i doing this project to get familiar with mel. so even if it does exsist. i'm still doing it user added image

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

© All grammar errors are Copyrighted to me

Last edited by Jouri; 07-12-2011 at 04:58 AM.