View Single Post
# 1 12-05-2006 , 08:32 PM

need some rigging help

I have a little time off over the summer and I wanted to try rigging a mech model. I figured it would be a little easier then an organic character model since the part just rotate about the joints and there is no deformation.

But I have never rigged. I enjoy modeling more the texturing, rigging, and animating. But everyone keeps asking me why all my models look so stiff and lifeless. I explain they are in the bind position for rigging. Then the next question is ... cool when can I see one posed?

I just completed my model. It is based on the image planes from a tutorial on another site. I did not use the tutorial just the image planes. I just wanted to get a model that had really accurate image planes and was simple and fast to build.

But now I am stuck when it comes to rigging and skinning the model. I have never done it before and all the reference material I have is on rigging and skinning an organic character so I really don't know where to begin.

I see Kurt has a mech modelling tutorial but I can't find anything on rigging one.

Any suggestions?

Here is a quick render of the model with default lights 640x480. I am sure many will recognize the model.

Attached Thumbnails