View Single Post
# 89 10-10-2005 , 03:33 PM

Re: NICE WORK man!

Originally posted by varley
hey mayafreak, I couldnt find you post without the name.
I like the eyes. Is that an extra node you have for the displacement, where do you get it?... I just convert to subd and use approx editor. The texturing is really looking good too, can you give more details...thanks. I wish I had a 4ghz pc....still using my 2ghz...really chugging along...Its ready to go and minute, I just pray everytime I hit render.

Hey varley, thanks for the nice comments. user added image

As far as the displacement node goes what you do is open up hypershade and on the lefthand side you should see (Create maya nodes)..under the displacement tab if you open it up you can create a displacement node. The way I did it was to middle drag a phong shader into the work area and then middle drag the displacement node on top of it. Then if you select the phong shader and click on the input/output connections button you should get a graph similar to the one I posted. Just select the displacement node in the work area and open up the attribute editor. Under Displacement attributes click the checker square and choose (File) Then just drop your displacement file into that. Since maya interprets black as 0 displacement and the files created by Z-Brush treat 50% gray as 0 displacement you have to shift the color values with the alpha offset. I use an expression for this. Open up the Color Balance Tab in the File node and click in the Alpha Offset box type in this expression:

= -fileX.alphaGain /2

where X is the name of the file..file1, file2, etc..

Then for alphaGain I choose the Alpha Depth Factor created in Z-Brush. This gives me almost perfect displacement if the file was generated in Z-Brush with the ADF taken into consideration. For some reason it is slightly off sometimes so I just crank the alphaGain up until it looks like it should.

This is the Quick code I use in Z-Brush for the displacement exporter plugin:

DE-LBEK-EAEAEA-D32

Once Z-Brush generates a 32bit .tif file I convert it to a .map file with Mental Rays imf_copy utility.

I am using a .bat file for this that looks like this:

:convertfile
@IF %1 == "" GOTO end
imf_copy -p %1 "%~d1%~p1%~n1.map"
@SHIFT
@GOTO convertfile
:end
@ECHO.
@ECHO Done!
@pause

I just drag and drop my .tif file onto the .bat file and it spits out a .map file in the same directory as the .tif.

Then I choose this .map file as file for the displacement node. I'm using .map files because Mental ray has big problems with .tif files and .map files render much faster.

Thats about it.. other than that I open up the approximation editor and add a subd approximation with settings about 3 min, 7 max, 0.01 length.

I feel ya on the 2ghz machine.. mine is about die as well lol.

peace,

mayafreak3