Thread: Maya - > Zbrush
View Single Post
# 9 29-07-2007 , 09:36 PM

Originally posted by mastone
I think you can load the model as an OBJ. file and save it in maya as a maya file again

You can but if your poly level is high then maya wont like it in the slightest!

Also when you import the object into maya, soften the normals, for some reason Zbrush hardens them, then again it might be the .obj converter.

If you get up to hundreds of thousand polys/millions than your going to haveto render out dispalcement maps form Zbrush and then apply them to the model in maya, I generally export the level 2 from Zbrush and render the maps form there.

Only problem is that Zbrush 3 dosent have the multi dispalcement exporter as yet, so your stuck to 16 bit tiffs. I have to open the model in Z2 and the render the maps to get 32 bit tif's that I then comvert to map files for mental ray.

If your going to use mental ray then you need to set up the approximation editor to control the displacement level, if your using software then you might need to up the tessalation attributes, theres lots of tutorials on how to go about it.

Oh you'll have to have uv mapped your model before going into Zbrush, if youve not its not a problem as you can switch the low poly model with fixed up uvs by saving a morph target of the origianl and importing the fixed one and then by switchin the morph target.

Hope it helps!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle