View Single Post
# 5 13-03-2005 , 06:00 AM
Subscriber
Well I didn't mean for this to become a WIP type of post but I thought I keep this in here considering I am still asking questions. Anywho, here's what I came up with.

What I did was I created about 12 point lights set the decay rate to quadratic, set the intensity to 30. How I got this number was I started with one point light and I guessed a number of 50. I did a render on to first make sure my light was not to close to any of the walls or cabinets. Then I positioned the rest of the 11 uniformally into rows and colums, 3 coloms and 4 rows. I then made sure of 2 more things to keep in mind. The first was I wanted to keep the concept of keeping the lights hitting in all directions evenly. Meaning if I had the lights too spaced out then I would see that their would be gaps of darker areas between the spaces of the lights. However I also didn't want them too close either, otherwise this would create "hot spots". The second thing is I wanted to make sure that these lights were not too close to other objects, which would also cause "hot spots". So with all those lights at first the intensity was set at 50, it was to bright and I also figured that anything below 25 would be to dark. So thats how I came up with the idea of setting my lights intensity to 30.

Once I had that, I then was keeping in mind that my walls have a yellowish tint to them. So I set all of the 12 lights in that same direction of color. The concept of using lighting in any 3D modeling program is that you have to keep in mind that light in real life bounce of other objects that get in there way. Though in these modeling programs you will need to create them. So thats where I got the idea of setting my main sorce light to this yellowish tint.

Then once I did that, I noticed that the counter top of the cabinets, the floor and some of the walls where too dark. So I then started laying some lights above the counter top with a much lower intensity about 10 with also keeping the decay rate to quadratic.

I then created 2 directional lights. The first was for the floor which I rotated the light faciing towards the floor and set its' intensity to .2. The second directional light was for the ceiling so I rotated that towords the ceiling and had set the intensity to .1. Also both of these lights color where the same yellowish tint. So then afterwards of setting all these lights to this yellowish tint, my room became this one big ugly yellow room. So I then realized that my floor has some blue in it (Sheww thank god there was a differnt color user added image ) So I created 2 more point lights and set those to a blueish color. The last thing I did was I set the first 12 point lights in to sast depth map shadows but ALSO, I redirected the shadows to go the direction I wanted them to go in.

However this is where I stand and I don't know why my shadows look like they are bouncing in a upwards direction. I made sure that all of my lights shadows where pointing in the -y direction but it still doesn't look correct. Could anyone explain this to me and how I can fix this?

Anywho here is my pics and I am asking for your help...

Attached Thumbnails