View Single Post
# 4 12-01-2006 , 03:24 AM
Subscriber

There are a few apps that claim to ease UV mapping , but in truth there is no way round spending the time to unwrap the UV's properly

Actually DeepUV I hear is better. I have searched arround and found that some say that in DeepUV you can select all of the faces of your object at once and then click on planar map. Then, you click on unfold, which unfolds the uv's into a flat tinfoil like way, and the rest is minor tweeking after that.

I have placed an order to this product with a sofware distributer, called Journey ED, that gives college students a discount but they are being real jerks, and giving me the run arround saying that my order is still on hold because it is not in stock eventhough they have already billed my credit card. I am not saying that they are a take your money and run kind of business, but what I am saying is that they are just being jerks. I have delt with them for 4 years and only the last two orders they have just started doing this. It seems like however, they are the kind of business what George Carlin would say "let me stick this big brown you know what up this customer's you know what a little bit deeper and a little bit deeper. :lmao: Then once they suck you in, they start treating you like you get what you paid for. :headbang: Anywho, enough of my complaining, the only problem is if your not a college student, and you don't have DeepPaint 3.0 then you need to buy the bundle package which cost about $1300 compaired to $140 for being a student.

As far as which 3d app has a better uv mapper, I would have to say Maya. I use to work in Plasma, and their unwrapper is unbelievably hard because there is no way of knowing which uv's connects to what when you need to sew the UV's together.user added image On the other hand, Maya doesn't have the unfold UV's which I think is really cool. If anyone doesn't know what this does, then your missing out. What this does is this...

lets say you have a cube which has 6 faces (also known as 6 planes). Normally, in Maya, you need to do a planar map on each plane one at a time and then re-sew them so that it becomes one UV shell and none of the UV's are underneath another. However, unfold UV's will allow you to planar map the entire 6 planes at once and then all you do is use the unfold UV tool and the overlaying uv's will unfold themselves. Furthermore, you don't need to sew the uv's because you projected the 6 planes all at once. And don't forget, like I said before the DeepUV Plug-in has this feature.