View Single Post
# 247 05-01-2010 , 12:14 AM
19 year Veteran

Chances are most of us wont be modelling or even drawing from from 'Live' reference 90 percent of the time so.... Think of it this way....as an example.... you load image planes into maya to refer to whilst modelling, the images are 2d. Based on what you see is basically how the final model will become whole in 3d. Its a translation of such. So the less you know of how the form should be reproduced in 2d how can you possibly ascetain it to properly translate into 3d. So therefore increasing the knowledge of the form in 2d, just thru the study of light and shade WILL translate to 3d far better. All these basics are the absolute fundentals of the artform itself. granted that not everyone can draw from birth. But in order to be an artist or even a better one, you go to art class. Not to learn 3d but 2d.....then after the 2d comes the 3d...its a natural progression when you whittle it down to the basics. You mention silohuette...its 2d, again a basic principle, you master that then add to it, it becomes whole. The greater the understanding of the light, shade or depth the better the translation to any art after that. I mean this all in the nicest way of course just so hopefully you see what Im getting at. Jay

Jay, thats why alot people just go from references instead of actually drawing them.

Want to know the funny thing bro? up there i said i can copy things if i see them, from what i look at, to a blank sheet of paper with pencil, ect.... Just like with 3d, i could never draw a face, even when attempting to copy from an existing image.

Drawing a face isn't exactly an easy thing to do for just anybody. You should have a decent understanding of human anatomy before you attempt it. Otherwise it will look like something a second grader could do IMO.