View Single Post
# 33 05-01-2006 , 10:12 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
A wise thread.

I dont think you can ever stop asking questions because no matter our age, we dont stop learning, but in agreement to most of the above, search and search the web dont be a lazy ass, then only if you come up short of your answer, ask, and ask wisely.

But also worth bearing in mind, apart from questions etc are also answers!!On alot of the work in progress stuff the biggest 'Hate' for me is the dishonest, glossed over answer.

Ive actually been 'told off' by newbs for giving honest answers to threads where work really needs to be told how it actually is. To say that somebodys confidence will take a dive because the truth has been told, is dumb. As long as crit is constructive, then theres no way that confidence will be shattered. Anybody that cant take crit shouldnt be in the working forums. If you are serious about CG be prepared to take the crit in the forums as there are far worse sites with harsher people on them waiting to flame you.
I have actually had work called a f******* ugly bitch, now that sucked as it was uncalled for and just negative.

Answers like 'awsome' and 'cool' are great responses to a piece of work but they aren't great answers to anything specific. Something may look cool at a glance but have a longer look, I guarantee the work wont be cool after 30 seconds

So a big please to ALL, be honest, polite but honest, if something is supposed to be a car model and it looks like a roller skate, then say it, but make sure you have a good enough backup as to what is needed to rectify the problems that are being shown. Even the 'seasoned' guys can make errors!! Believe me.

So please sensible questions and honest answers will pave the way to an even better forum and above all an even better quality of work.

Cheers
Jay