View Single Post
# 7 21-04-2010 , 05:05 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi mate,

smoothed without wires is good for the visual, I try and provide most of my pics smoothed without wire then put one or two in with wireframe on (unsmoothed,blue, not so bright then). That way the Masters here at SM can get a good feel for the project and give better guidance.

Im a real novice and Im at UV stage on the Spitfire, that has/is/will be a bloody task. the Spitty has very few parts unlike the Apache so I dont envy you but I sympathise!!!!

I tried a few methods for the cockpit frame on the Spitty, CV and EP tools on live surface (or created a plane and used that) and ended up with a combo of that and extrusion. I found extrusion difficult and cumbersome at times for that kind of shape.

I have used the CV tool on live fuselage for my Lancaster and now have that down easy, I quite like it. The only trouble I have had is when you birail it can lead to isoparms going in all directions. I have overcome this somewhat by turning on the previous profile (display CV's) and trying to match up the CV's on another profile so they are co linear.

At least you can delete half the model to do the UV mapping eh??? Imagine doing it all!!!! I have found also the WAY you model and how much you alter it in model mode makes a difference in mapping. Next model I do I will be also thinking how I will map it, if I can simplify the wires, I will.

Looking good though mate, cant wait to see the textures applied. Go for a good 'dirty' look mate. I have said this in nearly every thread I have posted, DONT make it look clean like anew car. Some people like it like that, I beleive machines (military) or space craft SHOULD look lived in/used/abused and not had a bath for 6 months. Dust, dirt, grease etc give it much more of a realistic look, and just looks damn well better IMO.

Good luck my friend!!

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 21-04-2010 at 05:08 AM.