View Single Post
# 6 22-07-2010 , 01:13 AM
Lifetime Member
Perfecto,

Im a noob so I cant really comment BUT like you I find poly's more logical so to speak and easier to use. I get confused with nurbs...I guess being a Surveyor ALL of my work is based on points/traingles and line work...so nurbs really do my head in.

As for naming things...well at work we have come up with a system that everything has a layer and or a prefix, alpha or numeric. As Jay pointed out ( and yes he is spot on) the naming convention is personal BUT at least give it a good, clear description. Abbreviate if you want as long as some one else can read it if they have to.

I deal with Design files for real life roads/pipes etc etc and EVERY bloody time I get a DXF or DWG....it has a 100 layers!!! and some have exactly what Jay quoted...surface001 002 etc etc. In my world this is useless...I would call it LOT_205_DES_FSL (Lot 205, design-finished surface level)..get my drift?

So here is a quick gas pipe list when we do pickup...design is just 'GAS' water is 'WATER' etc

G20 20mm gas
G50 50mm gas
G110 110mm gas

and so on.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes