View Single Post
# 4 04-12-2006 , 02:38 AM
Subscriber
Hi there again JunkyBob.

I see, I see. That's bound to be a little fun.

Well, everything I said before was based on the assumption that it was only going to be 2D, without any vents actually sticking out with geometry.

However, in this you need a rather different approach - obviously. So, firstly all the tvs are showing the same pic, all the vents are the same size and position and all the floors are the same. Okay we know all that, but let me draw your attention to point 2.

They're all the same size and position.. I'd be amazed if somebody would actually model this entire coridoor as it stands. More likely than not, they'd model 1/4 of the length and 1/2 of the width. Use the 1024x1024 texture map on that 1/8th of the coridoor, then depending on the intended use, either create another 7 instances of the same geom, or just create another 7 copies of the same geometry.

If they're copies rather than instances just do a poly->combine on them all at the end.

So, you'd model a screen, a vent the floor and roof. along with the piece of wall that runs between adjacent screens.

In the picture you posted this would be like having 8 1024x1024 pixel texture maps (albeit all identical)
But for only 4 Mb in memory, and less(assuming compression) in disk-space. Similarly instancing the geometry saves all the geometry data being repeated, only duplicating a transformation matrix and a few other bits and pieces for each instance.

Simon.