Thread: Hummer
View Single Post
# 34 05-10-2010 , 02:05 PM
Cheers guys,

Have not really had much trouble with importing obj's into vue. That said the best way is to use vue xstream. This way you can set up your ecosystems, materials etc for your scene in Vue. Then with Vue on your maya shelf you can open up the scene into maya. This basically enables you to have all of your maya models textures etc working within Maya.
There is a scale problem though, if you set up your scene in maya and then export the terrain into Vue, when you import this back into Maya the terrain will now be 50x larger I think. It all depends on how you go about setting up your terrains though. I prefer to create the terrain in zbrush as showed in the wolf thread in the wip section. If I import the obj into Maya and begin setting up the scene with models animation etc I will run into a scaling problem when exporting and importing the landscape to and from vue. It is easy to avoid as you simply take the terrain into vue 1st off. You can either begin work in vue or export the terrain as an obj. When opened in Maya the scale will be correct on this allowing you to begin animation, adding models etc as you can then delete the exported obj and open in the finished vue landscape once complete. I am not 100 percent on this though as I am still testing it on this hummer wip and the wolf one. I did complete a project where I set up a golden falcon and camera animation which I wanted to render with Vue but it was a bit of a headache and am hoping x stream will work out better. With that method I had to export the falcon with a geometry cache which was not to difficult but getting the camera animation into vue was much trickier. I cannot remember the exact method off the top of my head but if you need it let me know and I can give a run down of what I did.
Hope that helps and good luck with the hind, you got it on the site as it would be great to see.

Last edited by leonlabyk; 05-10-2010 at 02:19 PM.