View Single Post
# 122 17-10-2009 , 11:27 PM

Originally posted by Chirone
uhh, if you goign to do your texturing in photoshop you use your UVs as a guide, not a render
so, you go into your uv texture editor, export the UV layout as an image and paint on that. (normally you would add new layers in photoshop, change the layer blend mode to darken and inverse the colours (ctrl+i) and start painting

Yeah I know all that Chirone. What I meant was I will have to decide whether I am going to attempt to paint the textures in photoshop alone or whether I am going to use one of my 3D painting options.

I will have to rethink the way I created my UV's if I am going to go all PS. I think I am going to attempt to project the panel line stuff I am working on using one of the 3D painting apps then clean it up within PS.

If you look at the UV layout of the fuselage after unwrapping using maya's unfold the fuselage is distorted so trying to do the panel line detail and stuff would be nearly impossible. I would have to go with a side planer map but then I have to cut the top and bottom or I get major stretching.

This is all trial and error for me because I have not found a decent tutorial that really covers texturing a hard surface model to the level of detail I am interested in. I am seriously considering checking out the local art schools to see if there are any evening classes that cover the stuff I am interested in learning. Sitting and starring at the photoshop screen for hours and trying to learn to paint AND learn to use PS at the same time is frustrating.

I am still running into a block for the color scheme. I might just go with a simple base color and some stripes. I still have to layout the signage. I am working on that now. I think if I can get the signage and lines details the model will look very nice.

As for the panel line stuff I may have to increase the maps up to 4k square. I find the smallest I can go with the rivot details is 5 pixel square which is quite fuzzy and the to get good quality panel lines I need higher resolution as well. I might do everything on the fuselage at 4k square then see how small I am downsize it.

What did you think of the panel line, and rivet layout?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 18-10-2009 at 02:25 AM.