View Single Post
# 1 23-12-2004 , 11:39 PM

Problems offseting and filleting curves

Let me preface this by saying 1) I'm new to 3d modeling, 2) I'm using Maya PLE 6.0 and 3) the book I will be henceforth referencing is Maya 6: the Complete Reference

I am currently learning basic NURBS modeling and the tutorial I'm on (cutting and filleting curves) calls for me to make a curve, which I've done, and then use "Offset Curve on Surface". Nothing happens when I try, and that's my first problem.

I circumvent this roadblock by simply using "Offset Curve" instead, which seems to yeild the desired effect. I get a curve parallel to the first. Next, I add a strait line on top intersecting both and snip the ends off, making all of the edges flush. Now I'm supposed to fillet the top left corner, but nothing happens. This is the biggest problem.

FAQ's, Maya's built in help system and the book are no help, and this looks to be the best forum I've yet seen, but a search gave me no useful information. I'm hoping someone here can tell me what Maya, the book or myself is doing wrong.

I made sure that all of the curves were going the right direction and followed the book's directions to a T, but it still does nothing. If I can clarify anything further, or you'd like pictures, I can do that.

Your experience, help and time are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.