Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 07-05-2014 , 05:48 PM

Insert Edge Loop Tool Problems!

Hi, I am quite new to modelling in Maya so this problem will probably have a very easy answer: When I try to insert an edge loop on a door frame that I made instead of a clean straight line like will all my other loops it goes diagonal and out of shape. (I have inserted an attachment so you can see what I mean.) How do I fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-05-2014 , 06:31 PM
Subscriber
the edges on either side of the edge-loop you're inserting have to be straight in order for the new one to be straight as well. not sure what the other side of that door frame looks like but that's probably the issue. also make sure you don't have any straggling verts left behind by deleted edges.

Sampson
# 3 07-05-2014 , 06:32 PM
Lifetime Member
edge loops average to the center of the existing verts so i am guessing you have a vertices that is not required and that needs deleting on the upright line where the edge loop goes higher.Just right click and select vertices or hit f9 to see if you have a stray vert.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 4 07-05-2014 , 07:06 PM
Thanks for both the quick replies!

I don't think there's a stray vertex and the edges seem to be aligned, here are some more screenshots. First one showing all the vertices highlighted and the second one showing what happens on the other side.

Also, the final one shows that when I insert the edge loop on the right side of the edge it doesn't even go around the corner, maybe that will help explain what the problem is!

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 07-05-2014 , 09:09 PM
Super Moderator
Looks like some verts need merging as the surface doesn't appear to be closed. Smooth preview mode has a way of exposing all that's wrong with a mesh quick, fast and in a hurry.

- Genny
# 6 08-05-2014 , 07:49 PM
I found out the problem, I had merged the verts in the bottom left corner and hadn't deleted the faces so that was causing all kinds of problems!

# 7 30-10-2014 , 02:49 PM
Hey Guys,

It seems an answer has already been given, but I wanted to give my two cents as well, because this has helped me out more than just with inserting edge loops. Since you have gone from one face that is A length, to another face which is A+B in length. Each face is averaging slicing it up into 5 equal pieces causing the larger face to average to be larger between the two current edges.

Personally I just grab the Verts that have over extended. Go to your move tool settings and select world. Also make sure retain component spacing is off. Now hold v to point snap these vertexes, but make sure to grab the respective handle in the correct axis to move them to be perfectly aligned in said axis.

Hope this helps.