Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 04-10-2004 , 09:21 AM
Subscriber

UV Mapping and Photoshop

I am new to texturing and would appreciate any advice on how to create a UV map of my object that I can then import into Photoshop to create the texture.

I have watched the texture basics video that show how to apply a texture to a UV map, but it doesnt show exactly HOW TO MAKE the UV map and also how to apply it to your 3D object after your Photoshop work.

Its probably something really simple but I just cant figure it out!

# 2 04-10-2004 , 09:57 PM
Subscriber
I was about to make a post to this exact effect! I was following the tutorial, when I realized I had misssed the step of applying them. Also, did I just miss how to create UV's or is that different vid?

# 3 04-10-2004 , 10:39 PM
do you mean how set up a map? what i usually do is select a number of faces and project them depending on what axis they're facing towards and then i just space them out so they don't stretch. afterwards i try to eliminate some seams by sewing some edges together. ( you have to plan out where u want the UVs to go and build sort of a technique that suits you). i hope that helps a little. if you're having trouble with it you can just hit me up on msn and i can try to help. the_core33@Hotmail.com

Last edited by dark-link; 04-10-2004 at 10:41 PM.
# 4 05-10-2004 , 01:40 PM
Subscriber
How do you project them??? It didnt seem that difficult in the texture basic video where it just seemed to automatically make a UV map of the door he had made.
I want to know how to do that! Unless that was just something he had done earlier and had actually taken ages!

# 5 05-10-2004 , 06:47 PM
well i usually use a planar map... go to edit polygons> texture> planar mapping with the option box and project it in the direction the faces are pointing towards. that's just what i do though and it seems to work fine. other ppl might use different techniques.