Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 20-10-2004 , 10:22 AM
Subscriber

Ghostbusters ECTO-1

user added image

Title: Ghostbusters Ecto-1
Name: Ewoud Heidanus
Software: Maya, mental ray

Hi,

My name is Ewoud Heidanus, I'm 20 years old and a student Multimedia Designer. As long as I can remember I'm a big fan of the Ghostbusters franchise. The cartoons, the toys and most importantly, the movies.

Ever since I started working with Maya, 4 years ago, I wanted to create the ECTO-1, the car driven by the Ghostbusters. A couple of months ago, I felt confident enough to start building the car. I always said to myself: "If you gonna do it, do it right" Because I love Ghostbusters so much, I would be ashamed of myself if could not make it as accurate as possible.

The whole car took 3months to build and texture. Not full time, but between my school work.

I build it using the Poly Smooth technique that I learned from the simplymaya.com Apache modeling tutorial, exept for the hood, wich is done using NURBS.
texturing is done using Photoshop and it is rendered with Mental Ray.

Comments are most welcome. Thanks!!

Ewoud

# 2 20-10-2004 , 12:12 PM
The Maya Mountain
excellent job user added image :tup:

# 3 20-10-2004 , 01:27 PM
Really, really sweet! user added image

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 4 20-10-2004 , 01:35 PM
Wow, excellent work indeed. I love it! user added image

-------------------------------------------
# 5 20-10-2004 , 01:41 PM
Love it, nice textures too, only crit would be that the car seems to be floating, maybe you could try using some raytraced shadows with area shadows turned on too help 'ground' the wheels?

Good stuff though user added image

"1.21 GIGAWATTS"
# 6 20-10-2004 , 03:29 PM
Subscriber
Hello people!

thanks for all the feedback!!
Here are the clay renders:

user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 7 20-10-2004 , 03:30 PM
Subscriber
And here are the wireframes:

user added image
user added image
user added image

Thanks again!
Ewoud

# 8 20-10-2004 , 03:37 PM
Great modeling job

www.ahearnart.com
aim: kaltnue303

JOIN THE 3D USERS MYSPACE GROUP:
https://groups.myspace.com/3DNERDS
# 9 20-10-2004 , 03:44 PM
Do-do do, do, do-do...dodo do, do, do, do....do-do, do, do do do....GHOST BUSTERS! user added image Hahaha, I really like the model blade84! :tup: It brings back memories of the Ghost Busters cartoon and movies...*sigh* those were the days.... Excellent model, I really like it! user added image I hope my character model turns out as well as your car model did...

~CGPMaya84 (also DragonTU84 from SimplyPhotoshop and CPAnimate84 from SimplyMax)
# 10 20-10-2004 , 04:31 PM
Subscriber
Awesome !!

I especially like the way the blue siren lights came out. They look real. I could tell you worked on the little details.

Overall, what was the most difficult part you had making this?

# 11 20-10-2004 , 05:10 PM
good job well done on the car part of the model. I think that the stuff ontop of the car could use some more love though. It's not detailed enough and it looks like you've skimped on it a fair bit. Think of all the pipes and dials and tanks of god knows what that could be up there. Get some reference of the innards of machines and keep on modelling away. That part really lets the rest of the model donw.

The grille at the front does look rather splendid though user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 12 20-10-2004 , 05:25 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
I think that the stuff ontop of the car could use some more love though. It's not detailed enough and it looks like you've skimped on it a fair bit. Think of all the pipes and dials and tanks of god knows what that could be up there. Get some reference of the innards of machines and keep on modelling away. That part really lets the rest of the model donw

thanks for your input! it realy helps hearing all the thoughts people have on my work.

I used pictures, framegrabbes, and movie reference for the stuff that is on the car. I'm pretty confident that my roof gizmos is acurate to the movie version.

thanks again!

Ewoud

Last edited by blade84; 20-10-2004 at 05:45 PM.
# 13 20-10-2004 , 07:21 PM
Subscriber
That is soo cool, I love GhostBusters. Look forward to seeing some more of your work in the future user added image

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 14 20-10-2004 , 09:26 PM
Subscriber
Amazing-ooooo!!!! It would be even more amazing if you had some characters to go with that.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 15 21-10-2004 , 08:39 AM

I used pictures, framegrabbes, and movie reference for the stuff that is on the car. I'm pretty confident that my roof gizmos is acurate to the movie version.

I'm sure it is too user added image but it looks plain and undetailed compared to the rest. Even if it's not in the original you shouold make some stuff up and make it more interesting. Look at the "gun" thing on top... it's just two cynlinders, add some knobs and twiddles etc etc. Believe me it will make all the difference.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB