Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 03-11-2004 , 03:24 PM

Classic Fisheye lense

I'm sure alot of people inquire about this all the time. What's the best and easiest way to achieve a fisheye lense effect? Is is with camera settings, an environmental sphere, or other.? Thanks in advance. -Craig

# 2 03-11-2004 , 09:18 PM
I asked about this a while ago and got no response. I tried using ray tracing and putting a sphere in front of the camera lens, it worked, but I didn't want the extra render time. I really would think there would be a camera setting for this, but theres none i've found.

# 3 03-11-2004 , 10:08 PM
Thanks Twester, yeah I am really looking for a camera setting. I guess I'm not looking for a round bubbly look as much as a skewed angle thing. Basically, the closer an object, or parts of an object are to the camera, the more skewed they are. I thought this would be alot easier than it really is.

# 4 03-11-2004 , 10:22 PM
Its the Focal Length. Decrease the focal length and pull the camera tighter into the object or scene. It gave me the look I was aiming for.

# 5 04-11-2004 , 10:44 AM
Subscriber
I've always wanted to be able to do the classic Sam Rami style crash zoon. You know the kind you see in the Evil Dead movies?

I'de just though i'll share that with you two, lol user added image

"You can live for yourself today -- or help build tomorrow for everyone" _LIVID

Optical Minefield
My Blog
# 6 04-11-2004 , 02:20 PM
Subscriber
The way I have achieved the fisheye look before is by creating a sphere but it in front of your objects. apply a phong and crank up the reflectivity and specular. Than create a new camera and put it pointing at the sphere in between your scene and your new sphere. This should make the sphere reflect your scene and give it that fisheye look.

# 7 04-11-2004 , 07:28 PM
For this type of effect search for HDRI imaging....

# 8 08-11-2004 , 05:49 AM
A fish eye lens is an extremely wide-angle lens. A "normal" lens for a 35mm camera is 50mm (focal length). A wide-angle lens is less than that (e.g., 28mm). A telephoto lens is more than that (e.g., 300mm). Try experimenting with the focal length (or the angle of view) attributes until you get what you want. You might also try experimenting with depth of field, creating realistic camera focusing.