Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 02-02-2005 , 02:18 PM
Exactly Troop. See if I was building a gaming machine, I would go with AMD. Hands down. These benchmarks give the gamer exactly what they need to know to make an intelligent buy. Unfortunately, there are no Maya benchmarks.user added image

Yep Buildin' it myself. Been a little busy lately so I haven't placed the order for the parts yet. Maybe next week.

Thanks for the help guys.:tup: :tup:

# 17 02-02-2005 , 03:09 PM
whatever you do, if you pick the amd buy the ones with the big internal cache... even if it is clocked lower!

# 18 03-02-2005 , 02:30 PM
Thanks Dragon but think I'm gonna go with the P4 530E chip. It's already got the 1 Mb L2 Cache and 800 Mhz fsb.

Thanks guys.

# 19 04-02-2005 , 02:02 AM
hey i have a question about dual processors
lets say you have 2 3.2 ghz processors
would your computer now be twice as fast as if you had 1 or would it be just a little bit faster
do the gigahertz add up or what??
and also how would you get two processors wouldnt it burn up your motherboard?? i havent ever herd of such a thing. lol and i tend to stay u2d on most computer tech
anyways id just like to know so......................

# 20 04-02-2005 , 03:14 AM
cavalt:
I looked for you, but was not able to find any comparign the AMD 64 to the P4 in terms of Maya. But I found one that compared the Athlon XP to the P4 and the XP performed about the same.:p https://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_cont...xp3200&page=11

worfeus2000:
Well, if you had two processors runnign at 3.2 GHz, they would not add up to be 6.4 GHz, but it would still run very fast. Probably somewhere in the mid-4 to high 5 GHz range, depending on the cooling and if you overclocked it. No, the motherboard would not burn up, since the processors have heatsinks right on top of them. However, it might be more likely to overheat, which is why I'd recommend getting an extra fan or looking into other cooling methods (ie water cooling).user added image

Last edited by SuperTrooper; 04-02-2005 at 03:27 AM.
# 21 04-02-2005 , 05:43 AM
Subscriber
2 processor systems have been around for a long time..

They use special motherboards which are built specificaly for this task. They have a fan ontop of each processor and get no more hotter than a normal system.. The only draw back is that they are expensive to build (especialy my system.. it uses ECC registered Ram only.. £90 for 512 meg and you need to buy them in pairs !! ) Multi processor systems are usually found in servers..

No they dont run twice as fast, but when it comes to number crunching (like rendering) they dramatically reduce the time taken to render a scene. Well worth the money if you are serious about modelling, but not worth teh money of you are just doing it part time and spend more time playing games.. I found a slight FPS increase in my games, but nothing worth the money I paid to build the system.

Cavalt... I personaly would go with the AMD 64 bit chip. If the next release of Maya runs under the Win XP 64 bit software, then you will be able to take advantage of it. There is no shame in AMD, they have been very impressive for a few years now, especialy the 64bit chips

# 22 04-02-2005 , 09:45 PM
What I meant to add was that you probably won't notice much difference in the processor speeds on a dual machine. The only time you will really be able to tell is if you are runnign an application designed to run with dual processors.

# 23 04-02-2005 , 11:33 PM
My only concer about the AMD 64s is that I don't (or anyone) know which chip the development of Win XP64, Maya64 ect.... will be developed on. It may not be stable on one or the other. Just a thought.

Thanks alot guys.

# 24 05-02-2005 , 12:41 AM
I can guarante 99.9% it will work perfectly on both because if it doesn't Microsoft and Alias will be losing a ton of business.

# 25 05-02-2005 , 06:03 AM
Subscriber
I can confidently say (because I have been following this for some time)
Microsoft have been developing this with AMD for some time now. Thats not to say it wont be compatible with Intel systems, but its AMD who have had the 64 bit chip on the market for ages now and its their chips that Microsoft are doing most of the development work with.

https://www.planetamd64.com/

# 26 07-02-2005 , 02:10 PM
I totally agree with that comment uber.
I know Microsoft is in the beta stages with their XP 64 but who knows how long it'll be until Alias delievers thier Maya 64?

T.