Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 08-02-2005 , 05:39 PM
Subscriber

UV Texture editor rookie

There are a couple basic concepts about the UV texture editor that I just can't get my brain wrapped around. I have a simple planar projection. Its a simple, simple wall with 3 extruded windows. I select the faces, then go to Edit Polygons>Texture>Planar mapping. I check "keep image ratio" and "best fit to plane". Now these selected faces show up in my UV texture editor. fine.

Question one: I can secect a UV, select shell, and move the wireframe. But the image itself stays behind. How do I move them TOGETHER? Do I bake them?

Question two: once I do a plane and I go to work on another one, they all stack on top of each other in the same quadrant of the UV editor! argh! I don't know how to move/hide them to be able to work one them separately.

I am beginning to HATE the UV texture editor. user added image

Thanks in advance,
Phil

PS: any books, tutorials that deal with this "kindergarden" level of texture mapping would be appreciated.

# 2 08-02-2005 , 08:01 PM
The Maya Mountain
The point of the UV editor is to position UVs to fit your image, not the other way around, so the image won't move with your UVs.

To work with seperate pieces, I generally move them to the side to untangle them. If the rest of the geometry is getting in your way, detach the surface you're working on away from the main body, do what you need, and reattach it later.