Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 24-08-2005 , 08:34 PM
Subscriber

Zbrush tutorials

Hi Kurt,

I have heard that Zbrush is a very good tool for texturing models.
In your opinion is it worth investing time in learning how to use Zbrush, and will you be bring our tutorials on how to use it ?

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards

Addy

P.S Thank you for Sending the image planes for your latest tuturial in creating a character for games.

# 2 24-08-2005 , 09:36 PM
please give me link for z brush tutorial

fsdaahg
# 3 25-08-2005 , 12:35 AM
I will be looking into buying a copy of z-brush soon I have only played with the demo version and like what it was capable of doing. I think that texturing is headed that way using 3rd party software to get the time down on texturing so yes i think it worth the time and investment if you have the spare cash to get it.

I have seen a lot of impressive things done with it.. So hopefully in the future we can get into that program a bit more.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 4 25-08-2005 , 09:16 AM
Subscriber
I have ZBrush and I will say that it would suit Kurt's style very much, personally if we did a tutorial weather it was kurt or who ever we should relate it to maya as much as possible so building a low poly model in Maya then taking it into ZBrush for detailing and back out to Maya for rendering and animation, thats the way I work anyway

# 5 25-08-2005 , 11:37 AM
Subscriber
Hi Kurt,

Thanks very much for your response.

In reference to the post by sspikedudley. How easy is it to make a transiation from modelling in Maya to then texturing it in Zbrush?

How good is the modelling capabilities in Zbrush? If its really that good, is it not worth using, Zbrush, for modelling, animating and texturing and leave maya?
The reason I ask is, I started modelling and animating in Maya, thanks to your brilliant, clear and concise and easy to follow tutorials, and it would be hard to leave such a good application.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards

Addy

# 6 25-08-2005 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber
I've also seen some pretty neat stuff done with Z-Brush, and I'll probably have to check out that demo sometime soon... Some tuts to get you started would be great though (so get going Kurt! user added image )

Liter is French for 'Gimme some ****ing cola before I break vous ****ing lips!"
# 7 25-08-2005 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber
If you want to animate ytour model then you will need a program like maya as Zbrush is really only a modeling/texturing tool. Although I haven't tried a Maya to ZBrush and back to Maya workflow yet I have done A ligthwave to Zbrush and back again and that was nice a stright forward simpply export your model as an .obj do whatever to it in zbrush export out its relevent maps like displacement and texture lower its poly count down to the lowest form and export back as an .obj back into maya take a render and your sorted after a few tweaks to like the shaders and textures. If David wanted I could whip up a Maya to Zbrush Training video and when Kurt gets his copy he could go into more detail on the ZBrush side of things

# 8 25-08-2005 , 10:57 PM
ZBrush is a pin in the arse to learn it is not like any other 3d package you are probably used to.

But it is without a doubt a extreamly usefull and timesaving package as for myself I only used the demo 1.55 I think. If you want a modelling package that is capable of photorealistic result displayed in real time then zbrush is the package to use.

It will take some getting used to as I found out through many hours of frustration but the ability to doodle hi-res models in 3d with minimal effort and minimal time is unbeleivable and from what i've seen of version 2 it's even more productive if you'r interested in the result it can acvheive and tut's on going from maya to zbrush check out pixologic also check glen southerns tutorials at KURV studio to see a master at work.

Adam