Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 11-11-2005 , 03:14 AM

Field of Casings

Hey,

This here is pretty much my first real Maya modeling attempt. It's nothing really special, but everyone's gotta start somewhere, right?

I modeled the casing after an actual round that I had lying around -- it's a Norma .30-06, if anyone cares. I measured up the casing, outlined half of the casing along the Y-axis using the CV Curve tool according to the measurements I made, and then I simply revolved it -- nothing too hard there. I played around a little with the lighting options and such. This rendering has two spot lights illuminating the scene: one from behind the camera and one to the right, with a lesser intensity and with shadows disabled. The shader is a basic antriscopic. I rendered the image, as a 1080HD frame, with Final Gather, Caustics, and Mental Ray on. From what I hear and read, I’ve only managed to scrape the surface of Maya’s true potential, and I’m hoping to learn a lot more.

I’m hoping to elaborate on the lighting and shading/texturing, and I would really appreciate any tips I can get in this area, as I’m still pretty much a newbie to the whole 3D scene in general.

So, what do you think so far?

Here's the Full 1920*1080 Image

user added image

# 2 11-11-2005 , 03:17 PM
they're all the same and they're all very shiny, so's the floor user added image

get some maps on there and mix them up a bit.

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 11-11-2005 , 04:37 PM
Subscriber
there bullet shells right?
if so they all would be the same.
i like the scene man good work,

# 4 11-11-2005 , 05:08 PM
em no they wouldn't.. they're all empty bullet cases so they've maybe been fired from a gun... no two will be identical. They will have imperfections anyway from the casting process etc. no two objects will be exactly the same. If you want to make a scene that looks real that is...

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 11-11-2005 , 07:47 PM
Magicsy: Thanx for the kind words...

Pure Morning: You're right, they shouldn't all be the same...but since this is the first thing that I've done in Maya, I was very eager to get something done to marvel at... user added image

What would be the best/easiest method with which I could make them all a little different (i.e. Move the dent in the bottom so that it isn't perfectly centered, or maybe dent them along the edges)?

I haven't figured out how to add maps to my models yet, so do you know of any good tutorials, or would you be willing to explain it?

# 6 11-11-2005 , 09:57 PM
Subscriber

# 7 14-11-2005 , 01:23 AM
Thanx, I'll give those a go