Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 61 13-02-2007 , 09:33 PM
Subscriber
i finished off the back and only thing left is to do the front stairs, and when i have alot of times on my hands ill do the surrounded buildings/road etc maybe...

here a couple of occlusion renders with a sample of 32, took 5 mins(ehh sooo long!)

user added image

# 62 13-02-2007 , 09:35 PM
Subscriber
forgot the other, here is it...

user added image

# 63 13-02-2007 , 09:48 PM
Subscriber
got bored soo heres another 2 renders, sorry if its boring lol ...

user added image
user added image

# 64 13-02-2007 , 10:24 PM
Subscriber
that's not boring! I like all of your renders and you capitol building.
The model looks really good and clean. user added image
I'm looking forward to see the finished building.

Galadiel

# 65 14-02-2007 , 12:18 AM
Subscriber
hey Galadiel, thanks for the comment user added image ... glad you liked it user added image

# 66 15-02-2007 , 05:44 PM
Subscriber
just finished off the stairs after school and yeah here it is, soo FINALLY it is complete but i might do the surrounding buildings :p

thanks for all the comments and crits guys and girls ... this is what gets pumped up user added image

user added image

# 67 15-02-2007 , 06:58 PM
Acid44

Originally posted by marlonjohn
what do you mean like unevenly angled?

like the angle they go down on like umm i dunno how to explain it im bad with words post a side view... then i can use a picture...to show what i mean...user added image

# 68 15-02-2007 , 08:21 PM
Subscriber
It looks really good. Seriously, you did a really good job. I have but one question?

Poly count?

Open your eyes... Someone or something powerful created these creatures, these draconians... This is a war of conquest... This is the portent of the fallen stars... We face a foe who seeks, at the very least, to enslave us, or perhaps destroy us completely.
# 69 15-02-2007 , 08:47 PM
Subscriber
thanks fourriders user added image the poly count is about 90,000 but when i make all the windows to 1x1 instead of 10x10 etc i get 70k soo yeah thats the poly count mate user added image

ey acid heres a sideview dude, man thats the only part in the whole scene which isnt clean :p

user added image

# 70 15-02-2007 , 10:48 PM
looks great marlonjohn.

Haven't modelled any buildings myself, but was thinking of modelling a certain church. Did you do any tutorials to learn some techniques?

# 71 16-02-2007 , 03:38 AM
Subscriber
thanks for the comment DJBlazer... whats the name of the church if you dont mind me asking? there wasnt really any real tutorials to help me on this, just generally basic knowledge, except for this one which just tought me about to rotate windows/objects etc which is pretty newbish and would know that you already know this stuff but this is the link anyway,

https://www.tutorialscentral.com/inde...d=30&Itemid=30

if you need any help with the church just give us a nudge user added image

cheers, marlon

[ACID: do you mean like the steps... they wernt balanced out properly like 10steps then flat, then 10 steps then flat again? :p]

# 72 16-02-2007 , 05:15 AM
Acid44
no i dont mean like that this is what i mean...

Attached Thumbnails
# 73 16-02-2007 , 05:21 AM
It's a church in Gothenburg, Sweden.

Aha, so you sued booleans to make the rounded windows? Don't like booleans.... they usually make strange geometry and crashes and doesn't work half of the times...

# 74 16-02-2007 , 01:05 PM
Subscriber
ey acid yeah you were right... i just relised when i opended that scene again and went duplicate option box i accidently had -1 or something in my rotate y soo it tilted them abit user added image mybad ... but ived fixed them up in the recent renders when i redid the stairs user added image

haha yeah i used booleans to make the windows... to be honest before i even started this project i didnt even know how to make windows :p what i did with booleans soo i dont have any touble in the future was to create a something and just randomly get mistakes and try learn how you can fix it so you dont end up stuffing up later on on your main project, heres a little church of what i did. this was to test booleans for the first time...heres a picture of it...

sorry about the bad renders and the stretch marks(they are from because when i duplicated the window around on each side of the church i accidently had doubles underneath each other and combined them then after i pulled the windows out of the bulding i ended up with wierd geometry...

marlon

user added image
user added image

# 75 16-02-2007 , 02:12 PM
Hey Marlon, top job m8 - very impressive!

Just a side point on the stair design (well my 2 cents anyway), stairs typically run at about 34.5 degs. This is achieved with a standard Rise (vertical height) of 172mm per step (that’s equal to 2 standard house bricks) & a standard Run (horizontal length) of 250mm.

As a draftsman, I deign stair cases all the time & this is the basic formula I use. Apparently as humans we are so conditioned to these standard step heights that even a small increase can feel uncomfortable to climb.

Anyway, great effort m8 - looking forward to your next endeavor...

user added image

Attached Images

"If you think you can or if you think you can't....... you're right!"
- Henry Ford.

KickarZ Studios